By Dr. Hem Sras, Dean for the College of Law
In addition to teaching theories at class, the College of Law at The University of Cambodia (UC) arranged a study tour to Kampong Chhnang provincial court on January 22, 2019 in order for the students to see the actual practice of law in court. There were around 15 students from College of law who participated in this study tour, which was led by Ms. Sath Thida, a lecturer at the College of Law and also deputy prosecutor of the Kampong Chhnang provincial court.
In this visit, the students participated in observing the hearing of two criminal cases – one was relevant to the minor case, and the other was about drug trafficking. However, the minor case was adjourned due to the absence of the lawyer. Thus, the students only participated in the full observation of the second case. In observing the full proceedings, the students learned:
- The importance of the judge’s and lawyer’s presence at the hearing;
- Knowing the trial process of criminal proceedings;
- Knowing the role of the judicial police and experts in criminal hearings;
- Knowing how to prosecute suspects;
- Knowing how to use the law as grounds for prosecuting the suspects;
- Understanding the rights of the suspects;
- Knowing how to draw conclusions;
- Knowing how to appeal.
This study tour was warmly welcomed by the president and prosecutors of the Kampong Chhnang provincial court. They advised and encouraged students to learn more. The students also thanked them for their advice and the study tour. The study tour ended with friendly group photos.